Monday 18 February 2013

EFFIE



I have always loved fashions from bygone times, and the looks of the 1920's are a particular favourite. This cloche hat is a product of that fascination.

I had purchased a skein of Malabrigo's Merino Worsted in the colour-way Loro Barranquero, just because I adored the colours. I didn't have any particular use in mind for it at the time.  One day, while going through my stash, I found it and some leftover worsted in a dark brown...and the idea for this hat came to me.  I pictured '20s style tweed wool cloches, with pretty bows at the back of a ribbon band.  I went to work trying to re-create in yarn what I had envisioned in my head.

I am very pleased with the results.  This hat really is what I imagined!


The monochromatic kettle-dyed yarn, combined with Moss Stitch, gives the fabric of the hat its wool tweed appearance.  And, Tweed Stitch creates the firm, woven look of the ribbon and bow.


Although the bow is optional, I really think it completes the look.



Interested in knitting this project?  Here is some helpful information.


SIZE:  Average Ladies [54cm-56cm (21-22")] 

GAUGE:  18 sts/36 rows = 10cm (4") in Moss Stitch on 5mm (8US) needles

MATERIALS:  

  • 1-100g skein Merino Worsted by Malabrigo
  • approx. 25m (30yds) worsted weight wool, such as Paton's Classic Wool OR Cascade 220
  • 3.25mm (3US)  - 40cm (16 inch) circ. needle
  • 5mm (8US) - 40cm (16 inch) circ. needles
  • 1 set 5mm (8US) dpn

Perfectly suited for a monochromatic hand/kettle-dye yarns, this cloche would look stunning in a solid or semi-solid, as well.  Plus, a silk blend worsted for the faux ribbon could be so pretty, as these types of yarn having a bit of a sheen to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment